Dublin and U2 Walking Tour
Combining U2’s and local Dublin history, our Tour Guide, in this unique Walking Tour will take you through the places that shaped U2 and their music.
Highlights of U2’s Dublin Walking Tour
- Meeting point The Gaiety Theater at 12pm
- Take a Walk through U2’s Dublin, for 2.30 hours, with our native Dubliner Tour Guide.
- From the Dandelion Markets to Trinity College to Hanover Quay, where they still record their music today, our guide will give you a unique insight into the city that helped shape U2, how it influenced them and how they left their mark.
- This is a Walking Tour and we cover a wide area of the city so get on your boots and join us! Our guide will not only tell you about U2 but also some fascinating historic and cultural stories about beautiful Dublin too. Not to be missed!
- Grab a Coffee, included with your Ticket, in The Hot Donut, (O’Connell Street)
This U2’s Dublin Walking tour is for you if you love Music and the history of Dublin, the hometown of all the members, and where everything started.
We also organize Private Walking Tours for groups and Corporates.
Book your tickets
U2 Landmarks in Dublin City
A brief history of the Gaiety Theatre and its importance to Irish culture and arts.
- This is the theatre where U2 shot the performance portions of the “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own” music video.
In 2018, Bono and Edge busked here for Christmas. This has become a tradition in the past few years with other musicians as well such as Glen Hansard, Sinead O’Connor, Lisa Hannigan or Damien Rice.
- Bono’s father was a massive Opera fan and he was very fond of the Gaiety
- After the first time Bono met Pavarotti, his father asked him how it felt to meet a real singer 😉
History of the Dandelion Markets
Dublin’s Dandelion Market moved to Gaiety Green next to Saint Stephen’s Green in 1973 where it remained until the development of the Saint Stephen’s Green shopping center got underway.
One of the places where U2 played. We’ll look for the “Rock ‘n Stroll” plaque commemorating the Dandelion Market.
The influence that punk and the Clash had on Ireland.
The Clash performed in Trinity in 1977. A seminal moment in Irish rock history. Bono was there! “This is where you can reach me now” inspired by it.
History of punk music in Dublin and its influence on U2 – bands such as The Radiators from Space, Stiff Little Fingers, Microdisney, Virgin Prunes, The Undertones
A walk back across the river to Temple Bar
- Rory Gallagher Corner
A model of Rory’s Fender Strat was unveiled by Edge in 2006. This model of the beloved Irish blues musician’s Fender Stratocaster was erected in 2006. Rory was a hero of Edge. We will hear some stories about Rory.
- Button Factory. Photo opportunity as we stop by the Rock n Roll Wall of Fame.
- Project Arts Centre. This is where Paul McGuinness saw U2 perform for the first time, back in 1978.
- If we have time: Some history of The Liberty Bell in Temple Bar. We will hear about Daniel O’Connell…the Great Reformer and where Frederick Douglass, the former slave, and reformer from USA, made his speeches.
Windmill Lane and Hanover Quay Studio
A quick walk towards the docks.
- Photo opportunity at the modern Windmill Lane studios.
- Can visit the site of old studio (sadly no longer there since 2015).
Hanover Quay Studio
- This studio has been U2’s recording headquarters for many years.
The Point Theatre – 3 Arena
The Point Theatre/3 Arena
Point Depot Theatre was Ireland’s top live music theatre, seating 7,500.
U2 recorded some of the studio portions of Rattle & Hum here. U2 played their New Year’s 1990 shows here where Bono gave the famous “dream it all up again” speech.
- Photo opportunity: U2 Murals at the Gibson Hotel
Walk to the top of Fitzwilliam Square and mimic the “Sweetest Thing” Video walk.
- On September 20, 1998, U2 shot the video for “Sweetest Thing”.
- As we walk we will hear some history of Georgian Dublin and view some magnificent examples of its architecture.
- If we have time: we will stop by the Oscar Wilde statue where apparently Bono inscribed a quote on the rock nearby.
What is included in your Ticket?
- The U2 Walking Tour with our Dubliner Tour Guide. (2.30 Hours aprox)
- A Coffee per person in The Hot Donut (presenting your ticket)
What is not included in your Ticket?
- Everything else not mentioned above