Updated on August 31st, 2021
On Culture Night, arts and cultural organizations and venues of all shapes and sizes, including the National Cultural Institutions, extend their opening hours to allow for increased access to the public. Special and unique events and workshops are specifically programmed at participating locations and everything is available free of charge.
What is the Culture Night?
Culture Night is an annual all-island public event that celebrates culture, creativity, and the arts. This year, it will take place on Friday 17th September 2021.
Check all the events programmed here.
Culture Night has grown from a relatively small-scale cultural event staged only in Dublin in 2006 to the significant national cultural event it now is, with some 400,000 people visiting museums, galleries, historic houses, artists’ studios, and cultural centers across the island. The initiative has captured both the public imagination and the enthusiasm of artists and cultural organizations.
- Encourages more people to visit cultural venues and experience culture in their locality
- Reminds us all about the fantastic cultural facilities and resources that we have locally and nationally
- Raises the profile of cultural organizations, activities, and facilities
- Encourages people to try new things and to get into the habit of going more often to cultural venues and activities in their locality
- Makes it easier for people to play a role in their local cultural scene
- Helps create a sense of community and belonging
Who makes Culture Night happen?
Culture Night happens because many people share a vision and enthusiasm for enjoying, celebrating, and promoting creativity and culture. The following list gives a taste of the wide range of people and institutions that make it happen across Ireland: the public, artists, performing groups, galleries, museums, sports clubs, libraries, art centres, craft workers, studios and workshops, theatres, public spaces, broadcasters, schools, community groups, local authorities, Government Departments, state agencies and public bodies, transport companies, universities, shops and many more
For one night only on the island of Ireland + select international locations become your FREE cultural playground, explore YOUR surroundings!
Check Dublin agenda or any other city in Ireland in the link below: